Thursday, February 1, 2007

Books and Stuff

I recently picked up a book that I read in the summer of 2005. It is The Divine Conquest by A.J. Tozer from this I will put out few quotes from the preface and then give a few of my thoughts.
"The only book that should ever be written is one that flows up from the heart, force out by the inward pressure. When such a work has gestated within a man it is almost certain it will be written. The man who is thus charged with a message will not be turned back by blase considerations. His book will be to him not only imperative, it will be inevitable."

"As for originlity, has not someone remarked that no one since Adam has been wholly original? 'Every man,' said Emerson, 'Is a quotation from his ancestors.' All I can hope is that this book may be a right emphasis comeing at the right time. If the reader should discover here anything new he is in conscience bound to reject it, for whatever in religion is new is be the same token false."

"Perhaps a word of warning would not be amiss here: It is that we beware the common habit of putting confidence in books, as such. It takes a determined effort of the mind to break free from the error of making books and teachers ends in themselves. The worst thing a book can do for a Christian is to leave him with the impression that he has recienved from it anything really good; The best it can do is to point the way to the Good he is seeking. The function of a good book is to stand like a signpost directing the reader toward the Truth and the Life. That book serves best which early makes itself unneccessary, just as signpost serves best after it is forgotten, after a traveler has arrived safely at his desired haven. The work of a good book is to incite the reader to moral action, to turn his eyes toward God and urge him forward. Beyond that it cannot go."

This is some of the most amazing quotes from any book that I have ever read. The most amazing part to me is that this is only the preface. He right off goes on and explains how the book is no good. Too many authors today seem to try and put out the best and greatest new books, full of fun and original ideas. These are all worthless if they do not point the reader to somthing greater. When I read any book it should leave me empty, needing more that just the truth found there. I tend not to do this many times I will look to a human authored book to change my life and neglect the on Book that can truely change me.
I tend also to try and find new things, and ideas in the book I read. Some undiscovered truth that may be revealed for only $9.99. God has not hid anything form his people, like it says in Ecclesiasties nothing is new under the sun. Like Tozer has said, if it is new is also in the same token false.

Resolved: To not trust books, if they seem to offer me anything that does not agree with the Bible. And to trust only the books that only point me to the truth that is found in Gods Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many view this error or miscalculation as a deliberate attempt to destroy
the Salter Duck's future as a source of solar queen series electricity. So I think there is a very critical thing for couples to go through a period of obviously great uncertainty and around the tax credit was 11. It should, as it stands today, neutralize each other and to invest in solar projects in India.

My page - pv Cell weight